Monday, May 12, 2008

Audacious Story

Blog Audacious Story

Throughout the process of grieving the loss of my mom, planning funeral events, and implementing funeral events, I experienced some surprising, some disturbing, and even some shocking moments.

Nothing shocks me more than the phone call I received yesterday.

The daughter of one of my mother's friends (a dear friend who passed away in the 1980s) called me six days after my mom's funeral.

She prefaced her remarks by stating she did not know if this was the right time to discuss “this”. She was hesitant.
She reminded me that her mom and my mom were old friends. She reminded me they were very close.
She repeated that she did not know if this was a good time to discuss such a matter.
Finally, she asserted, you know what I mean.
You know what I'm talking about right?!.

I replied,
no. I have had two weeks of little sleep, or little food, planning all five funeral events, receiving multiple cards and calls and letters and e-mails having multiple conversations---I am mentally and physically exhausted. No I don't know what you are talking about--you will have to be more direct with me about the purpose for your call.

She proceeded to inform me that my mom had told her that if ever she passed away, she wanted them to know that she left them in her will.

Shock and awe

I simply replied, that is not true

She continued, insisting my mom had made this promise to her and her family a long time ago.

I assured her, that is not true. I continued that I'm holding a copy of the will and that that is not true.

I informed her that for a year my dad had promised one of the cars to everyone who walked into the house. I hope she understood that people make promises, when they are elderly, that don't necessarily materialize.

Of note, I have not heard from her since my mom had passed and yet she felt it was appropriate to call me six days after my mom's funeral to stake her claim to a will

Shock and awe.

Another shocking and surprising event was that my mom's dearest friend (Juanita Blakey) fell and broke her hip as she was leaving to attend my mom's funeral. I had just spoken to her to find out if she needed us to give her a ride to the church. She is now in a nursing home, we have recovering from hip replacement surgery. She is almost 94 years old and had no physical problems prior to this. It is very sad!

No comments: