Saturday, August 15, 2009

Burr Oakes Cemetery Creates Problems For Our Family



Photos taken at my Mom's burial in Burr Oakes Cemetery, Maplewood Section, on May 3, 2008

I cannot bring closure to my Dad’s death nor can I proceed with legal activities because I cannot bury my Dad.

Yes, my parents bought plots (in the 1950s) in the now infamous, Burr Oakes Cemetery, outside Chicago. This is where four people have been accused of reselling plots and dumping the remains of old bodies in an empty, abandoned lot. The cemetery is an offical crime scene.

Not only did the scandalous story make international headlines, I heard about it in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, sailing to England on the Queen Mary 2.

According to the news reports, county government has stepped in to oversea day-to-day management of Burr Oakes because it is considered a crime scene. It has been closed to all business for more than one month. It is uncertain WHEN it will reopen. In the meantime, hundreds of families are unable to bury loved ones and thousands more are unable to visit their loved ones.

My Dads funeral director has attempted to contact Burr Oakes directly, I have attempted to contact them directly, our family attorney has attempted to contact them directly—all in vain.

I am in limbo.

I do not know when I should make arrangements
--for a return trip to Chicago (flight, rental car etc),
--for a formal burial service (priest, funeral home, friends etc), nor
--for the numerous agencies involved to process death certificates.

Of note, until an official burial date is stamped on the death certificate, it cannot be used in any official capacity.


I deliberately delayed Dad's funeral with the expectation that Burr Oakes would have reopened by August 8. It is one week after my Dads funeral; he continues to “lie in wait” at the funeral home.

This is not right!

No comments: