Sunday, June 14, 2009

Dad's in Hospice Unit

I arrived in Chicago yesterday. My Dad was placed in the hospice unit at Mercy hospital twice this week.

I don’t know how to describe how I feel seeing my Dad in the hospital-- frail, disoriented, and unresponsive. He was happy to see me so he smiled. I brought his favorite, Sees candy, so he perked up but he was mostly fading in and out of consciousness, or he was irritable.

The hospice unit is warm. Although, I was alone with Dad, it was good to have some alone time with him.

When the priest came in to pray, that’s when I lost it.

My Dad is completely unrecognizable.

I fed him pureed food. He ate ever so slowly with his eyes closed the entire time.
The hospice nurse gave me a book that describes the stages of moving on. I was shocked to realize Dad is exhibiting them all. I am so unfamiliar with death and avoid dealing with it as much as possible.

I will continue later……………………

Time to go back to the hospital.

No comments: