Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Selling My Childhood House is Hard


I knew that selling my childhood home would be hard work but doing this from long distance is especially challenging.

I am reading books on clearing out parents’ estates, de-cluttering, and how to keep my asthma at bay while dealing with all the dust and molds, there.

I am engaging the help of:

A Chicago realtor who works in that part of town
Estate attorney there(who is slow and unresponsive)
My lawyer here
A professional organizer who is one of my childhood best friends
Someone to clean the house, especially my room that is full of allergens
A contractor/mover/handyman/strong guy
Insurance company
Friends of Mom (challenging because the few left are over 90) and charities to come take certain items

I will go to Chicago next week, for a week, with the goal of preparing the house for staging---To list it for sale!

I have been reading Boomer Burden by Julie Hall—The subtitle is Dealing With Your Parents’ Lifetime Accumulation of Stuff. I find it extremely informative, chock full of helpful tips.

I will talk more about my journey and this book in my next post.

No comments: