Friday, August 10, 2007

Benefits of Funeral Preplanning

Procrastination has ruled my behavior when it comes to planning my parents' funeral, their wake, finalizing cemetery arrangements, writing an obituary, choosing eulogists etc. Why? because of all the complex emotions surrounding death, grieving, my ignorance of funerals, vulnerability, and mostly fear I will make wrong decisions because I am the sole decision maker.

Because of the recent string of close calls with my Mom, I have resumed activities (I began two years ago when my Mom was critical) of funeral planning.

I wrote my Moms obituary program, I pulled out the DVD with videos and photos (I did this work two years ago), I contacted casket manufacturers, funeral brokers, the cemetery, and funeral homes. I have also consulted with close friends of my Mom and several of my close friends.

Although my panic and feelings of being overwhelmed still run high, I take comfort in knowing I am taking action steps.

My Next Steps:

Choose funeral home
Consult with funeral home director
Formalize plans
Make funds available
Leave a deposit with funeral home. Prepay at today's prices.
Begin paying cemetery fees of opening/closing plots and for concrete liners ($1510 per person)
Order and pay for caskets online (500% savings)
Contact St Dorothy’s church
Choose eulogist
Find caterer
Select flowers and music
Form a team to help me carry this out.

Here are helpful notes about funeral preplanning that I found online from The Preplanning Network.

Since mortality faces us all, the importance of preplanned arrangements should be emphasized. Preplanned arrangements spare survivors the burden of having to make decisions and incurring expenses on your behalf during their time of grief. Most importantly, planned arrangements ensure that your wishes are fulfilled. Historically death has been a taboo subject that people attempt to avoid until they are faced with the responsibility of making arrangements for the disposition of a deceased family member or friend. Making arrangements for disposition at the time of need can prove to be a difficult and an often unnecessarily expensive proposition.

Benefits of planning NOW!!

---You can beat inflation by locking in a price now. Why pay more down the road for the same products and services?
---You make decisions with the head vs. the heart. When you are under the strain of grief, you are vulnerable to making bad decisions and overspending.
---You can make decisions together. You can incorporate the wishes of your loved one and you can involve all family members. Never make lonely, hasty decisions.
---You can pay over time from earnings vs. an immediate cash outlay from savings

No comments: